Hi! I’m Erica!
Food sensitivity specialist, cooking enthusiast, and registered dietitian nutritionist. My mission is to help you reclaim your health through personalized nutrition.
I take an integrative/functional nutrition approach with all of my clients.
This means that I take a comprehensive look at your entire health history, labs, & symptoms when making my recommendations.
I view the body as an interconnected system, and work hard to choose foods & supplements that support your body’s systems and allow them to work together to heal.
You won’t find a more inquisitive and dedicated health care provider!
Yep, I’m one of those people who loves puzzles, and won’t stop digging until we get to the root of your nutrition-related symptoms.
And even if we discover that you need more support from other health care professionals, I can help guide you to the care you need.
I like to think of optimizing your health and wellness like peeling back layers of an onion.
We can do testing and address things like food-related inflammation, nutrient deficiencies, etc., and see how much better we can get you feeling through diet and lifestyle change alone.
I specialize in working with those suffering from chronic GI issues, such as IBS, SIBO, IBD (UC or Crohn’s), GERD, or celiac disease, and other chronic inflammatory illnesses.
I run a virtual private practice out of Los Angeles, CA. This means that I see my clients virtually, either over the phone or via secure video chat.
Win-win, right? Avoid the crazy LA traffic & receive services in your PJs at home. Plus, this means I am able to work with clients all over California or other states that don’t have licensure for dietetics (Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, or Wisconsin).
I offer the following services to my clients:
1. Food Sensitivity Testing + Custom Elimination Diets ($1295)
- The first 2 weeks: You’ll ONLY eat about 25 or so of your least reactive foods, basically ensuring that your diet is NOT causing inflammation and contributing to your symptoms during this time. Most people feel at least a 50% symptom improvement in the first 2 weeks.
- The next 4 weeks: Once you’re feeling significantly better, we introduce 1 new food per day, working up from the least inflammatory foods to foods that have a higher chance of being reactive. During this time you’ll keep a food-symptom diary and monitor how the new foods are making you feel.
- After the 6 week elimination diet: We start adding in untested foods (foods that were not on the MRT panel), like cilantro, kale, etc. The focus during this stage is variety and balance to keep your gut healthy and immune system strong. Any moderately reactive foods are avoided for 3 months, and highly reactive foods are avoided for 6 months before trying them again.
- The cost of the MRT food sensitivity test (a blood test).
- A 90-minute initial appointment to review your health history and MRT results & plan the first phase of your elimination diet.
- Weekly phone or virtual appointments during the 6-week elimination diet.
- Unlimited email or text support throughout the 6-week elimination diet (really helpful if you have questions, which most people do!)
- Custom recipe suggestions to get you through the first phase of the elimination diet.
- Shopping ideas to help you find products that work with your unique set of foods. (for example, brands of turkey lunch meat with no additive, etc.) which saves you TONS of time at the store.
- Total value = $1600
The package ends up saving you a few hundred dollars, and you are fully supported along the entire elimination diet (which is really important to get the best results, especially in complex cases).
If you’d like to enroll in the package, you can pay the full amount upfront at our first appointment, or do 3 monthly payments of $450.
When you’re ready to get tested, I’ll have the blood draw kit mailed directly to your home & provide instructions on getting the blood drawn.
It takes about 2 weeks to process your results. I’ll receive an electronic copy of the results and you’ll receive a hard copy in the mail along with a helpful booklet with more information about the test, the LEAP diet, etc.
Once the results are in, we’ll have our 90-minute initial consult to review your health history, go over your MRT results, and plan the first phase of your LEAP elimination diet.
Once the 6-week LEAP diet is complete, you’ll have a nice variety of foods to eat that have you feeling great. At this point, we can introduce any other nutritional interventions we’d like to try, such as micronutrient testing to make sure you don’t have any nutrient deficiencies, probiotics, gut-healing supplements, etc.
For coverage of the food sensitivity test, I recommend asking whether your policy covers procedure code “83516” for immunoassays. Some policies will partially cover the test, which is nice! You still have to pay out of pocket, but then they will reimburse you for some of the cost.
For nutrition counseling, ask whether your policy covers telehealth (virtual healthcare, via phone or video chat). The code for telehealth is 98968. Also ask how many visits your policy covers for Medical Nutrition Therapy or Nutrition Counseling. They may cover a certain number of visits related to a medical diagnosis (like migraines, IBS, etc.), and may offer another number of visits for preventive nutrition counseling, so ask about both. The code for nutrition counseling is 97802.
If you have any more questions or would like to sign up for the Food Sensitivity Testing package, call me at (510) 673-5919 or email me at email@example.com.
If you’re not sure if you could benefit from micronutrient testing, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I eat at least 2 cups of fruit and 3 cups of vegetables every day?
- Do I eat fish twice a week?
- Do I make sure at least half the grains I eat are whole grains?
- Do I curb my alcohol intake to moderate limits? (no more than 1 drink/day for women, or 2 drinks/day for men)
- Do I get at least 15 minutes of direct sunlight on most of my body each day?
- Do I take medications like birth control pills, PPIs, or statins that affect nutrient status?
- Do I feel vibrant, well, and full of life and vitality?
If you answered “No” to any of the above questions, or “Yes” to the medication question, it is likely that you could benefit from micronutrient testing & custom supplements for repletion.
When you’re ready to get tested, I will have the blood draw kit and paperwork mailed to your home & help you figure out where to get the blood draw done.
If you have any more questions or would like to sign up for Micronutrient Testing, call me at (510) 673-5919 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. “Living Confidently with Celiac Disease” Package ($595)
Have you recently been diagnosed with celiac disease and feel at a loss with how to adjust to this new lifestyle?
We’ll work together with bi-weekly appointments over the course of two months to help you understand the ins and outs of living a gluten free lifestyle & make sure you feel comfortable and confident living with your new diagnosis.
I’ll educate you on how/why you may have developed this disease, what you can do to heal your intestines most effectively, provide you with gluten free-shopping tips and cooking ideas, cross-contamination prevention, tips for eating out or eating at the homes of others, etc.
By the end of the second month, you’ll be the gluten-free lifestyle king or queen!
If you have any more questions or would like to sign up for the celiac disease package, call me at (510) 673-5919 or email me at email@example.com
Still not sure? Check out some of my testimonials!
“Before finding Erica, I had recurring SIBO and chronic IBS. I had lost a lot of weight and muscle mass and was down from 106 to 92 lbs. Over a two year span I had been on various FODMAPS diets, the non fermentable diet, visited gastroenterologists, to Dr. Pimentels digestive center at Cedars Sinai, nothing was working.! I was desperate!!
With a little research My husband found Erica Julson… she saved me!! With her vast knowledge, expertise, and positive outlook, she guided me through the MRT testing and the LEAP diet. She took into account my SIBO/IBS issues and also my weight loss. Now I feel great with normal bowel movements and weight gain.
I would advise everyone to work with Erica first when it comes to choosing a nutritionist. I would highly recommend Erica’s program. Erica’s programs are flexible and she is always there for you in person, by phone and email and text to answer all questions and troubleshoot. She is a full service one woman operation that is dedicated and motivated to help you. She cares!!! She gave my life back!
Thank you Erica!”
“I had been a long time sufferer of Crohn’s and had just completed a resection surgery in October 2016. Part of my healing was to get my gut back in check with learning the best foods to eat for me to eliminate my symptoms of chronic Crohn’s – anemia, fatigue, depression, anxiety, diarrhea, leaky gut, malaise, and intestinal pain.
Working with Erica and undergoing MRT testing and testing for micronutrient deficiencies made me more aware of what foods are good for me to eat and what foods are not. It has helped in greatly reducing my symptoms and teaching me new methods of eating. Erica really helped me not feel so overwhelmed with the drastic changes that had to occur in my diet.”
“For many years (decades, really), I have suffered from headaches, usually daily. I saw doctor after doctor and was put on regimens that included strong prescription medicines and Botox. Nothing worked. I was constantly taking pain killers and migraine medicines.
I never thought of food as the cause until one day I ate a snack food and got an immediate headache. That led me to Erica Julson. I worked with Erica for about 6 months and she helped me substantially reduce a life-long problem with headaches.
Based on food sensitivity testing, Erica helped me craft a diet of healthy and non-sensitive foods, gradually adding additional foods back into my diet. She also suggested appropriate vitamins and probiotics.
Although I am not 100% headache free, I have now reached the point where I have a remarkable number of days without headaches—and without pain killers.
Erica and I communicated primarily through email and I found her emails to be consistently helpful and informative. She provided food recommendations and recipes as well as information about nutrients.
Most of all, Erica calmed me down each time I thought the plan wasn’t working and that I should give up. It wasn’t easy, especially in the early weeks of the food plan, but I’m so glad she kept me going. ”