Salty, sweet, and savory is the ultimate flavor trifecta.
Think dark chocolate sea salt covered almonds, bacon wrapped dates, or prosciutto wrapped melon. Your tastebuds rejoice with every bite. The flavors just hit all the right notes.
That was the inspiration behind this salty-sweet-savory kale salad.
Yep, I'll never give up on my love for kale. Even if it's 2016.
I love kale's earthy taste. It gives salads so much more body and depth. Plus, kale is strong enough to stand on its own in a salad.
Yes, it's delicious jazzed up with other ingredients, but it really doesn't take much. A sprinkle of nuts, some salty-savory cheese, a pop of sweet dried fruit. That's it.
This salad excels in its simplicity.
Kale, golden raisins, walnuts, romano, lemon, olive oil, and garlic.
THIS is weeknight eating done right.
Plus, kale salad is sturdy enough to last in the fridge for a few days. Perfect for lunch the next day.
Simple Kale Salad with Golden Raisins and RomanoPrint
- 1 large bunch lacinato kale
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ½ cup grated romano cheese
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Wash the kale well, pat dry with paper towels, and tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Discard the stems and place the torn leaves in a large salad bowl.
- Place the raisins in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes to plump up while you prep the rest of the salad.
- Put the walnut pieces in a small dry skillet. Heat over medium-low flame on the stove, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted and fragrant. Let cool and add to the bowl with the kale.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Season well with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Drain the raisins and add to the salad bowl. Sprinkle the romano cheese over the salad, pour the dressing over top, and toss well to combine. Enjoy!