This recipe is one of those easy weeknight side dishes that is inexpensive and super delicious.
It’s just sauteed power greens and mushrooms, seasoned simply with some fresh lemon juice and garlic.
The mushrooms require a little patience, since it’s important to let them cook long enough to get nice and golden and move past the rubbery stage ;), but once the mushrooms are done, the garlic and greens cook up within minutes and you’re ready to serve.
If you’re one of those people who doesn’t enjoy prep-work, then this recipe is for you.
Just pick up a giant 1 lb bag of Earthbound Farm’s Power Greens (they’re prewashed, so you don’t have to worry about that), another pound of pre-sliced mushrooms, and literally all you have to chop for this side dish is a few cloves of garlic.
Can’t get much easier than that.
When it’s ready, you’ll have a giant pot of satisfying greens and mushrooms to go with your main dish.
Sauteed Power Greens and MushroomsPrint
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb Earthbound Farms "Power Greens" or other blend of greens (spinach, chard, kale, etc.)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Maldon sea salt, for sprinkling
- Add the olive oil to a large enameled dutch oven and warm over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the mushrooms are very well browned. (Don't skimp on this step!)
- Add the garlic, kosher salt, and ground black pepper to the dutch oven, reduce the heat to medium, and let cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Next, add several large handfuls of power greens to the dutch oven. Stir with a spatula and let wilt slightly, then keep adding more greens until they all fit in the dutch oven.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the greens are wilted but still bright green.
- Turn off the heat, squeeze the fresh lemon juice over the top, drizzle with a little extra olive oil, and a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt. Serve right away!