Many functional dietitians follow the 5-R’s (in order) when working with clients:
- Remove: Remove any foods from the diet that you are allergic or sensitive to.
- Replace: Replace anything you are deficient in, such as vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, digestive enzymes, bile, etc.
- Repopulate: Repopulate your gut with the right balance of gut bacteria, as needed, using probiotics & fermented foods.
- Repair: Repair damage to the gut as needed, with supplements to support the process.
- Rebalance: Examine your current lifestyle & look for places in which it is unbalanced. Things to examine include sleep quality, stress levels, work-life balance, social support, and stress-relieving activities.