Alright, so avocado toast is EVERYWHERE these days.
But that doesn’t mean it isn’t absolutely delicious.
I actually make avocado toast all the time for breakfast.
I love it every way imaginable.
Freshly sliced avocado on sourdough toast drizzled with high quality extra virgin sea salt and thick flakes of Maldon sea salt…. Mashed avocado on toast with sliced Havarti cheese and freshly sliced cucumber….
But it’s even more satisfying when topped with a runny fried egg. Yep, when I top my avocado toast with a runny egg, I serve it on a plate with a fork and knife and dig right in. The creamy orange yolk oozes out over the creamy avocado and crunchy toast, creating a decadent sauce that you can scoop up with each bite.
It’s. So. Good.
And super duper filling.
Serve with a fresh grapefruit for a refreshingly light side, and feel yourself full and fueled well through lunchtime. Enjoy!
Fried Egg Avocado Toast
- 1 large slice sourdough toast
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of Tapatio hot sauce
- 1 large egg
- splash of oil for frying
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper for finishing
- Optional: 1 large grapefruit to serve on the side
- Toast the sourdough bread and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove the pit from the avocado and use a knife to cut the avocado flesh into cubes while still inside the skin. Use a spoon to scoop the diced avocado into a small bowl. Add the mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, and Tapatio and mash with a fork until smooth.
- Spread the avocado mixture on the toasted bread & set aside.
- Add a splash of oil to a small nonstick skillet and warm over medium heat. Add the large egg and pan fry for about 1 minute. Flip with a spatula and cook for about 20 seconds longer, or until cooked to your liking (I like to keep my yolk runny). Use the spatula to transfer the fried egg to the avocado toast. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve. Enjoy with a grapefruit on the side if desired.