This recipe is one of my time-tested go-tos on busy weeknights.
It’s easy. It’s fast. It’s delicious. It’s nutritious. It’s filling. It makes great leftovers.
Can it get any better?
It’s also vegetarian and chock full of healthy vitamins, minerals, and fiber. 🙂
- cut up an eggplant and onions (easy)
- mince a bunch of garlic & cilantro (even easier)
- boil some lentils with bay leaf, thyme, & garlic for seasonings
- saute the eggplant and onions with garlic & spices
- throw in a can of tomatoes
- serve over the lentils with crumbled feta & cilantro
LOVE easy meals like this that barely require a recipe.
Okay, I know some of you are probably cringing at the thought of eggplant and/or lentils, but seriously, you have to give it a try! I know you’ll love it.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cups of cubed eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 14.5oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Place the lentils in a medium saucepan. Add the water, bay leaves, thyme, smashed clove of garlic, and a liberal sprinkling of salt. Bring to a low boil and cook for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender to your liking. Drain and set aside, removing the bay leaves, thyme, and garlic clove.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until warm. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Add the eggplant and sauté for another 10 minutes, until cooked through and golden in spots.
Add the minced garlic cloves, tomatoes, cayenne, paprika, coriander, salt, pepper, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minutes, until the spices are fragrant. Serve over the lentils and top with a sprinkling of cilantro and feta. Enjoy!