We all know I’m obsessed with roasting whole chickens 🙂
I’ve got two delicious recipes already on the blog:
But guess what’s even easier than roasting a whole chicken? Roasting chicken pieces!
Drumsticks are super easy because they’re already portioned up into easy to serve pieces. Plus, they have a really awesome skin to meat ratio, so you get some of that salty crispy skin in each and every bite.
They’re also one of the cheaper cuts, so if you time your shopping right, you can find drumsticks for less than $1 per pound. If you’re on a budget, roasting drumsticks is way cheaper than eating out. Yep, it even beats the dollar menu.
The basic method for roasting chicken is:
- Pat the chicken dry so you get the crispiest skin possible
- Spread with a little oil to increase the crispiness even more
- Season VERY generously with salt and pepper (seriously, this is important)
- Roast on high heat to get nice golden skin & tender meat
That’s it! I swear, I like this type of crispy chicken just as much as fried chicken. It’s salty, savory, and super satisfying.
While the chicken is baking, you have plenty of time to chill and sip on a glass of wine, or prep a salad or side dish. Easy living at its finest.
Crispy Oven Roasted DrumsticksPrint
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken drumsticks
- Drizzle of grapeseed or olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Ground black pepper, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels and place in a large rimmed Pyrex baking dish. Drizzle the drumsticks with a little oil, and use your hands to rub the oil all over each drumstick. Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Sprinkle each drumstick with a liberal amount of kosher salt & ground black pepper (don’t skimp, the seasoning really makes these delicious!).
- Place the drumsticks in the oven and let bake for about 1 hour, or until the skin is golden and crispy. If after 1 hour they are not quite crispy enough for your taste, you can cook them for another 15 minutes or so, or place them under the broiler to finish them. (My oven kind of sucks, so I cooked them 1h & 15min because I like things extra crispy)
- Let cool, then serve.