This salad was inspired by the CUTEST bunch of radishes I have ever seen.
Instead of the typical large round radishes, this bunch was quaintly clustered up like a small bunch of grapes. ADORBS.
I couldn’t resist throwing them in my cart.
For some reason, radishes just scream “Pair me with butter lettuce, please!”.
So of course I obliged.
Have you guys seen the LIVING butter lettuce they sell at the grocery store? It comes in a clam shell packaging with the roots and some dirt still attached! So the lettuce is literally still fresh and thriving when take it home. (Of course the farmers market is still #1, but this takes second place- just make sure to recycle the packaging!)
So anyways, I’m a staunch believer of the throw-things-in-a-bowl salad method.
Truly, 99% of the time, salads shouldn’t require a recipe. They are SO forgiving!
This butter lettuce salad was pretty off the cuff. Just toss some tender lettuce morsels with slightly bitter radishes, tangy feta cheese, and vinegar-soaked shallots and slather with a classic vinaigrette.
Once you have the basic salad blueprint down (lettuce + any veggies + cheese/nuts + classic vinaigrette), salads become an excellent way to clean out the fridge and add veggies to any meal.
Try your hand at this basic salad, and then try making your own delicious combinations!
Butter Lettuce Salad with Radishes and Feta
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large head butter lettuce, leaves washed, dried, and torn into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 5 oz crumbled feta
- In a small non-reactive bowl, add the shallot and cover with the red wine vinegar. Season with a little salt and pepper and let rest on the counter while you prep the rest of the ingredients. The longer the shallots marinate in vinegar, the more tender and mellow they’ll become.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients: olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, lemon zest, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add the butter lettuce to a large serving bowl. Drain the shallots & discard the red wine vinegar marinade. Sprinkle the shallots over the salad, followed by the radishes and the feta. Drizzle the dressing over the top and toss with salad spoons. Enjoy right away!